h1

Please Tell Me That This Is A Poe

13 May, 2009

I found (well, I spotted the link over at Pharyngula) a web site  which explains exactly how prayer works.  Not to mention which prayer positions are best (kind of a Kama Sutra for the godbot). 

Now I am not going to pick through the entire site.  However, here are a few of the graphics:

Apparently, where you pray from changes who answers your prayer:

Who-answers-prayers-v1

Apparently, praying for another person to die (an imprecatory prayer (are you listening, Wiley Drake?)) means you are praying from a region of hell.  And has a low spiritual level (which can, of course, be countered with a save throw of 16 or higher).

I’m trying to picture the ‘research’ on this:  “Okay, subject 1.  Pray for someone to die and we’ll see how much closer to hell you get, ‘kay?”

Whoops.  Never mind.  They have a research methods page.  Complete with a chart (real science (take note, kids:  it can come in handy at a Creationist Science Fair):

Research-1

Which sounds to me like:  “I’ll just make up an answer an have faith that it’s correct.”  Great.  Go test gravity, why don’t you?

The site is, at the very least, entertaining.  In a bizarre and rather frightening way.  Again, please tell me that this is a joke, a Poe, a sham.  Please.  Because I find it frightening that anyone could take this seriously. 

This definitely rates an 85.7 on the Weird-Shit-O-Meter.

Advertisements

9 comments

  1. I was wondering the same thing when I saw that! The site has some… ummm… amazing (?) stuff on it. It certainly SEEMS like a Poe, but the site is pretty involved, so it would be extremely elaborate for a Poe. Landover Baptist Church does it, though, so it’s definitely possible.

    I’m on the fence on this one. I almost WANT it to be serious because then it’s much more entertaining. Ha! 🙂


  2. Yeah, Dan. Part of me hopes it is real just because of the total unreality of the ideas.


  3. Poe or not, someone’s gone to a lot of trouble to produce a lot of nonsense.

    Reading 4. The Founder and how it all began on the about us page is good for a laugh.

    The guy has a 70% cure rate (using clinical hypnosis), but when he finds out that some of the remaining 30% get better by spiritual means, he decides spirituality is “far superior to physical and psychological science”.
    He may have been good at clinical hypnosis but he’s hopeless at math and statistics!


  4. Spiritual Science Research Foundation? That has to be the most oxymoronic name ever.


  5. Oz: I missed the bit that he wasn’t satisfied with a 70% success rate and went to part of 30% instead. Weird.

    Chappie: Right up there with government organization, military intelligence, jumbo shrimp, honest Republican, a helpful Rush Limbaugh, compassionate conservative, and lots more.


  6. I’ve got no doubt this is real – or if it isn’t real it is meant solely to use religion to make money off people. It is not Christian – it appears to have originated in India and the movement is trying to garner support, followers and spread the movement outside India.


  7. Thomas: Agreed that it is not Christian (even using the very loose definitions of some sects (or, depending on your point of view, all sects)). It is still pseudo-scientific wooshit. I still cannot figure out how they can measure the effectiveness of prayer. Mind boggling.


  8. You’re right — this is a pretty nonsensical description of “spiritual science”. However, there are other far more sophisticated systems of yoga and self-observation, that are very rigorous and demanding, unlike the ridiculous two-step process described here. You’ll find that many spiritual-but-not-religious people would laugh at the above graphic as much as you do.


  9. This is a quote from their website:

    “We have used graphs, diagrams and tables extensively to explain concepts of the science..”

    How could I possibly doubt this? They have graphs and diagrams. Maybe even an occasional chart or statistic? It’s like reading a really weak CV.

    There is no concept that these people will not create a percentage for. For example, 80% of problems are “spiritual in nature”. My somewhat more scientific study determined that 22% of every sentence on the website is inadvertently funny and a full 78% is complete horseshit.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: