Poe? or Alternate Personal Universe?22 April, 2009
Poe’s Law states:
Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won’t mistake for the real thing.
Which makes it rather difficult for me, as an atheist blogger, to deal with some of the sites which I find as I have been that someone. Some turned out to be true Poe sites. Others, maybe. My problem is that I am not only an atheist, not only a blogger, but am also quite gullible. So, I have tried to be much more careful when writing about a possible religious web site.
I think this one is real (but, I’ve wrong before (frequently)): Society for the Practical Establishment and Perpetuation of the Ten Commandments. Basically, the whole idea of the site is that man cannot make law. Only god(s) can make law:
Only the Creator of the heavens and the earth to whom all mankind are responsible can properly govern them; and He has graciously given them His most wise, noble, righteous and perfect moral Laws by which all people are responsible to perfectly conform in thought word and deed – in every detail of their lives. His righteous Laws are the only ones which have ever and will ever exist that can definitely work for the total good of every society. (Here)
The supporting documents for this authoritarian and dictatorial stance? They list supporting documents (with links Oz pointed out that they are all broken, not worth my sanity to put them in individually, but click here to get to the ‘menu’):
- God is the Author of the TEN COMMANDMENTS
- Our Greatest Responsibilities
- Evil Freedom should be disallowed
- The SUPERIORITY of the TEN COMMANDMENTS
- What the Declaration of Independence says must be done to fix America
- The proper attitude
- America is a thoroughly corrupt tree
- Clean government
- Congress prevented from honoring God
- Freedom to practice idolatry
- The Superior Pledge
- What the heathen Statue of liberty really means
- What the PREAMBLE to the heathen american constitution really means
- Things you should know
Now, if I was a real asshole, I could work through every single link and tear apart the ‘supporting documents.’ Which are not supporting documents. They are supporting essays? rambles? rants? obfuscations? Instead, I will just do one. The first, called:
GOD IS THE AUTHOR OF THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
The TEN COMMANDMENTS are the most extraordinary principles in the universe (more extraordinary than the principles of art? economics? design? accounting? extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence)! That is not an opinion but a solid fact (Really? Fact? Solid fact? What facts?). One reason they are so is that they were not authored by any creature (Are human beings creatures? We are mammals, right? Oh. He means God(s)). No human nor angel can rightly claim authorship thereof (Because if they were written by humans, there would be more than one version of them, right?).
Since the TEN COMMANDMENTS did not originate from any creature and could not have come into being on their own, there is only one other source from whom they could have and did originate (No evidence was supplied to support that assertion. Fail). That source is the almighty GOD – the Creator of the heavens and the earth (Unsupported assertion. Again.).
The TEN COMMANDMENTS therefore had a divine origin. Each one of them serve as an indisputable witness to the existence of the almighty GOD. That is a most awesome fact which should be duly noted throughout the lifetime of every human being. (Is it just me, or is the author merely repeating the same unsupported assertion again and again? Repeated fail.)
For those who call themselves “atheists” and “agnostics” – who think that what we have stated is foolishness, please seriously consider the following indisputable evidence that prove that GOD MOST HIGH is the Author of the TEN COMMANDMENTS: (Wow. All caps. Then it MUST be true.)
- THEY ARE EVERLASTING LAWS: No creature has the wisdom or power to create anything that endures forever. That fact is quite clear from everything man fashions. All of it fades away eventually. Man could not have made that which is eternal while he can’t even keep his own body from dying and decaying. He who is mortal cannot create that which is immortal. An eternal law has to have an eternal author. (But your version of god(s) is, what, 6,000 years old? The universe is about 13.7 billion years old. What was that about forever?)
- Since the TEN COMMANDMENTS are eternal (Again, you asserted that without evidence), THEY ARE IMMUTABLE: All laws made by the creature are subject to change and destruction even while their authors live or die. Even the most wrongly venerated human charter on earth – the American Constitution – has been changed and amended. (Which Ten Commandments?)
- THEY ARE INDESTRUCTIBLE: The eternal nature of the TEN COMMANDMENTS is also seen in the fact that for over 6,000 years, they have endured the fiercest attacks and endeavors by their enemies to destroy them, even in the absence of effort of anyone to protect them. They survive in their original form, unpolluted and unchanged with the most of satanic and human power arrayed against them. No creature would make an eternal law that he hates even if he had the power to make such a law. (Again, Which Ten Commandments?)
- THEY ARE UNIVERSAL IN AUTHORITY: The universal authority of the TEN COMMANDMENTS over all mankind proves they are from God. No creatures either singly or collectively have the power to impose laws upon every single member of mankind and make every member of mankind legal and rightful subjects with the unquestionable responsibility to perfectly obey them. Whenever and wherever the creature has made laws, the laws’ authority has always been limited. (Prove it. Prove that all human constructions (including religion) incorporate the Ten Commandments. Prove that all civilizations which have ever existed, on earth and on other planets, incorporate the Ten Commandments. Do that, and maybe I will believe anything you write.)
- THEY ARE PERFECT IN AUTHORITY: The universal authority of the TEN COMMANDMENTS over every thought, word and deed any human can perform demonstrates that God is their author. No angel nor human has the capability to impose a law over every deed that creatures can perform. Only God can legislate the thoughts, emotions, sentiments, likes and dislikes of every rational creature. No human has the ability to tell what’s in a person’s heart. Further, no creature can maintain an accurate record of every infraction or obedience to a law performed either in the heart or outwardly. It takes the almighty God to perfectly know and keep an accurate record of the deeds every human has performed; hold every human accountable; and judge them rightly and fairly in the end. (For a perfect set of laws, why are there so many versions?)
- THEY ARE UNIVERSAL IN CONDEMNATION: God’s own sentence of death and eternal punishment upon every member of mankind for disobedience to His Law in the first man Adam is proof that God is the author of the TEN COMMANDMENTS. Had any human been the author, he would not have devised a law that condemned himself to death and eternal punishment in the lake of fire. No one has ever or will ever escape God’s sentence of death. Had the creature made the TEN COMMANDMENTS, the sentence of the law could not be assured to fall upon every person of mankind. We already see foolish man endeavoring to nullify the death sentence. Whenever and wherever man has made laws, there has been partiality in sentencing, bribery, loopholes and other means of escape. But such is not possible with God’s Law. (Again, prove the universality. Also, the author keeps claiming that this is all from god(s). And there is no evidence for the existence of god(s). There is no evidence for the existence of the Judeo-Christian god(s) except a collection of myths written between 1900 and 3,000 years ago.)
I stongly suspect this site is real. And scary as hell. Don’t think it’s scary? Take a look at the last ‘supporting document’: Things you should know, which includes the statement, “DEMOCRACY falls short of the glory of God, and therefore it is an absolute failure.” Or “Better is a dictator who rules every aspect of the lives of the people with true justice and righteousness, than a democracy wherein the people indulge in the evil and idolatrous freedom they desire.” And, lastly, “No citizen of the United States can have the proper attitude toward America unless his sentiments border on sedition or treason.” But remember, it’s us atheists who are un-American, right?
Part of me has to admire the asshats responsible for this site. They have taken the ‘logic’ of the Bible to the illogical extreme. Do you think any of them actually try to live by what they have written here? Do you think that any of these people are politically active with the modern incarnation of the Republican Party? Do these people scare you?
And, most of all, I wonder what colour the sky is in their personal universe?