Bumper Stickers10 February, 2008
Driving home from work tonight, I got behind an old, beat up Dodge Omni (favoured food of all omnivores). It had six bumper stickers:
1. “Pray the Rosary for Peace” — I can see that. I really don’t care how we achieve peace, as long as we get peace without subjugating others.
2. “Pray for our Troops” — Again, I can see that. I thought that was okay, until I saw the fine print across the bottom which had the 800 number for the 700 club (why not a ‘700’ number?).
3. “God Made George W. Bush America’s President” — Odd, I thought that the U.S. Supreme Court made him President (let’s all explain ‘State’s Rights’ to Florida, eh?).
4. “A Woman’s Place is Under A Man” — Ummmmmmmmmmm . . . . The three women driving this car were in their late 200s. I can’t imagine the last time either one of them was . . . Oh, okay, I guess they refer to the idea that a woman is to man as man is to god. My daughter (15) laughed at that one.
5. “Life Begins at Conception” — and ends in Iraq
6. “Man + Woman = Marriage” — I had no idea, absolutely no idea, that marriage was mathematical.
I am constantly amazed at how effective the Republican Party has been at convincing people to vote against their economic interests. If abortion is ever outlawed, and gay marriage made unconstitutional, how will the conservatives get the ‘morality’ vote?
Oddly, there were no creationism or school prayer bumper stickers. Maybe they fell off with the back bumper.